DR ALISON CHIU
FRANZCO, PhD, MBBS (Hons),
BMedSc (Hons I), Grad Dip Refractive Surgery
Specialist Eye Surgeon
Dr Alison Chiu has special interest in complex cataract surgery and is an expert in refractive vision correction. She has contributed to the success of over 40,000 laser vision corrections performed at the refractive surgical centre, Perfect Vision.
Education and Clinical Experience
Dr Chiu completed her medical degree with Honours at the University of Sydney. She also completed a Bachelor or Medical Science and following a dedicated research year, graduated with First Class Honours.
Her ophthalmology training was undertaken at Sydney Eye Hospital, with further subspecialty training at Macquarie University Hospital, including an academic qualification in Refractive Surgery. She is the Principal Surgeon at Perfect Vision Laser Correction, one of Australia’s leading refractive surgery practices. Dr Chiu has completed a PhD from the University of Sydney, supported by prestigious scholarships at University College London and Cambridge University.
- B. Med. Sc. (First Class Honours), The University of Sydney
- M.B., B.S. (Hons), The University of Sydney
- Ph.D. (Medicine), The University of Sydney
- Graduate Diploma in Refractive Surgery, The University of Sydney
- VMO Bankstown Hospital , Springwood Hospital
- Medical Advisory Committee for private Sydney Day Surgery facility
- Locum VMO Concord Hospital
- Operating rights at East Sydney Private Hospital, Bondi Junction Private Hospital.
- General Ophthalmology and Refractive Surgical Fellowship, Macquarie University Hospital
- Completed four years accredited ophthalmology training with Sydney Eye Hospital and secondments
- Three years of broad clinical medical experience, one year of experience at medical registrar level, one year as basic surgical trainee
- Three years as Anatomy Tutor, Lecturer, Dissection room demonstrator, University of Sydney
- Formal and informal education of medical students, junior doctors, and other allied health staff
- Five papers published
- One book chapter published by Oxford University Press
- Two published abstracts
- Two oral presentations at international conferences
- Five oral presentations at national conferences, two as invited speaker
- One poster presentation at a national conference
- One international and one national workshop
1992 - 1995
B. Med. Sc. (First Class Honours), The University of Sydney
1998 - 2003
M.B., B.S. (Hons), The University of Sydney
Two years deferred during studies to continue and complete PhD
1996 - 2004
Ph.D (Medicine), The University of Sydney
“Dental Variation in the Sydney Region: An Odontometric Analysis”
Supervisor: Dr D. Donlon, Senior Lecturer, Department of Anatomy and Histology
Doctoral studies were undertaken on a full - time and part - time basis, and from 1998 concurrently with medical studies (5.0 years full - time equivalent). Fieldwork comprised 6 months data collection at University College London and Cambridge Uni versity.
This research produced one published paper, one published abstract, and six conference paper presentations, two of which were by invitation. Multiple research prizes and scholarships were awarded throughout candidature.
2012 - 2013
Graduate Diploma (Refractive Surgery), The University of Sydney
- John Irvine Hunter Prize. Prosectors Competition. Department of Anatomy and Histology, University of Sydney. (Specimen currently bottled and on display in the Wilson Museum)
- Australian Postgraduate Award. The Commonwealth Government.
- Australian and New Zealand Forensic Science Society Scholarship. Awarded to cover attendance costs at international conference.
- Gold Medal. Australian and New Zealand Forensic Science Society. Awarded for ‘best overall paper presentation’ at international Symposium.
- British Chevening Scholarship. The British Council. Awarded to conduct PhD studies at University College London and Cambri dge University for 6 months.
- Postgraduate Travel Grant. Faculty of Medicine, The University of Sydney.
- Honorary Student Membership. Commendation for submitted paper. The Royal Society (NSW branch).
- Honourable mention, Albert A. Dalhberg Award. Awarded by the Dental Anthropology Association for manuscript presented at international conference.
- PhD/Medicine Scholarship. The Private Practice Fund, The Canberra Hospital.
2013 to present
- Private Practice, Gen eral Ophthalmologist with subspecialty interest in cataract and refractive surgery
Jan 2014 to present
- VMO Ophthalmologist, Bankstown Hospital
Jun 2015 to present
- VMO Ophthalmologist, Springwood Hospital
Mar 2014 - Oct 2014
- Locum VMO Ophthalmologist, Concord General Repatriation Hospital
- Ophthalmology Fellow, Macquarie University Hospital
General Ophthalmology and Refractive Surgery
Accredited Ophthalmology Registrar - Sydney Eye Hospital & Rotations
|Terms 1&2||Senior Registrar, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital|
|Term 3||Senior Registrar, Sydney Eye Hospital Emergency (in part, then maternity leave upon completion of training)|
|Term 1||St Vincent’s Hospital|
|Term 2||Team B, Sydney Eye Hospital (Oculoplastics, Oncology, Cornea)|
|Term 3||Team A, Sydney Eye Hospital (Oculoplastics, Glaucoma, Cataract)|
|Term 4||Bankstown Hospital|
|Term 1||Paediatrics - Westmead Children’s Hospital|
|Term 2||Bankstown Hospital|
|Term 3||Newcastle - John Hunter Hospital/Royal Newcastle Centre|
|Term 1||Retina Junior, Sydney Eye Hospital (in part, then maternity leave)|
|Term 2||(maternity leave)|
|Term 3||Emergency, Sydney Eye Hospital|
|Term 4||Westmead Hospital|
|Term 3||Royal Darwin Hospital|
2006 ST VINCENT’S HOSPITAL, SYDNEY
|Term 1||Cardiology/General Medicine (Wagga Wagga Base Hospital)|
|Term 2||Neurology (Liverpool Hospital)|
2004-2005 ROYAL PRINCE ALFRED HOSPITAL, SYDNEY
|RMO 1/B ASIC SURGICAL TRAINEE||Intern|
|Term 1||Neurology||Term 1||General Surgery (Dubbo Hospital)|
|Term 2||Vascular Surgery||Term 2||Respiratory Medicine|
|Term 3||Cardiothoracic Surgery||Term 3||Breast Surgery|
|Term 4||Head & Neck Surgery||Term 4||Upper GI Surgery|
|Term 5||Intensive Care (Junior Registrar)||Term 5||Emergency Dept|
- Pass in Advanced Clinical Examination (RACE)
One of only 2 NSW candidates of the 2010 cohort to obtain a clear pass
- Pass in Advanced Pathology
2007 - 2008
- Completed Part 1 RANZCO modules:
- Pass in Anatomy, Physiology, Optics, OBCK
- Pass in Basic Pathology, Epidemiology, Genetics, Microbiology and Virology, Pharmacology
- Ophthalmic Anatomy: UNSW
- Sydney Eye Hospital Registrar Lecture Program
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons: Early Management of Severe Trauma
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons: Care of the Critically Ill Surgical Patient
- Royal Aus tralasian College of Surgeons: Basic Surgical Skills Course
2013 - present
- Supervision and training of ophthalmology registrars, as well as junior medical staff and allied health staff, predominantly through public hospital appointments
2007 - 2011
- Medical student / Overseas Elective student / RMO supervisor, POWH, RNSH Formal teaching in SCORPIOs and daily informal teaching to students and junior medical staff
2004 - 2006
- Medical Student Supervisor, St Vincent's and Liverpool Hospitals / UNSW Daily informal teaching to resident medical officers and interns and medical students as Medical Registrar and Resident.
1995-1996 and 1998
- DEPARTMENT OF ANATOMY AND HISTOLOGY, THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Anatomy Tutor, Lecturer, Dissection room demonstrator
Faculties of Medicine, Dentistry and Science
- Chiu, A.L.S., Sherry, E. and Phung, X. Accessibility of clinical information on the web: Just try to be specific. Nature. 1999; 401 (6749): 111.
- Chiu, A.L.S. and Donlon, D. Anthropological and Forensic Aspects of Odontometric Variation in Two Contemporary Australian Populations. Journal of the Dental Anthropology Association. 2000; 14 (2): 20 - 37.
- Chiu, A.L.S. Forensic and anthropological aspects of variation in dental metrics in two contemporary Australian populations. American Journal of Physical Anthropology. 2000; 30 (Suppl): 123. Abstract
- Chiu, A.L.S, and Robertson, M. Chapter 38: Psychiatric Trauma. In: Sherry, E., Trieu, L. and Templeton, J. (eds.) Trauma. Oxford University Press, Oxford. 2003; 632 - 644.
- Choy E.T., Chiu, A., Young, J., Butow, P., and Spillane, A. (2005) A pilot study to evaluate the impact on patient outcomes of involving breast cancer patients in the multidisciplinary clinic discuss ion of their surgery results and treatment. ANZ Journal of Surgery. 2005; 75 (s1): A31. Abstract
- Thurtell MJ, Chiu ALS, Goold LA, Akdal G, Cromptom JL, Ahmed R, Madge SN, Selva D, Francis I, Ghabrial R, Ananda A, Gibson J, Chan R, Thompson EO, Rodriguez M , McCluskey PJ, Halmagyi GM (2013) Neuro - ophthalmology of invasive fungal sinusitis: 14 consecutive patients and a review of the literature. Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology. 41(6): 567 - 576.
- Keay K.A., Crowfoot L.J., Floyd N.S., Henderson L.A., Christie M.J. and Bandler R. (1997) Cardiovascular effects of microinjections of opioid agonists into the 'Depressor Region' of the ventrolateral periaqueductal gray region. Brain Research. 1997; 762(1 - 2) : 61 - 71. Acknowledgement for experimental work
- Chiu, A.L.S. The value of dental measurements for forensic identification. Australian and New Zealand International Symposium on the Forensic Sciences. 13th Biennial meeting. 8 - 13 September, 1996. Sydney, Australia.
- Chiu, A.L.S. Race determination in dental anthropology. 15th Annual Forensic Anthropology and Dental Identification Course. 27 April - 1 May, 1998. New South Wales Institute of Forensic Medicine, Sydney, Australia. Invited speaker.
- Sherry, E., Phung, X., Trieu, L., Yuan, J. , Gorman, J. and Chiu, A.L.S. Workshop: “Orthosearch” and “WorldOrtho”: Valuable Internet resources for Orthopaedic Surgeons. Australian Orthopaedic Assocation. 11 - 16 October, 1998. Cairns, Queensland, Australia.
- Sherry, E., Oliver, C., Phung, X., Trieu, L., Yuan, J., Chiu, A.L.S., Viswanathan, S., Gorman, J. and Peach, P. Workshop: Orthopaedics and the Internet. Société Internationale de Chirurgie Orthopédique et de Traumatologie (SICOT). 21st Triennial World Cong ress. 18 - 23 April, 1999. Sydney, Australia.
- Chiu, A.L.S. Race and sex determination in dental anthropology. 16th Annual Forensic Anthropology and Dental Identification Course. 3 - 7 May, 1999. New South Wales Institute of Forensic Medicine, Sydney, Australia. Invited speaker.
- Chiu, A.L.S. The value of dental measurements for forensic identification. Internati onal Association of Forensic Sciences. 15th Triennial Meeting. 22 - 28 August, 1999. Los Angeles, California, USA.
- Chiu, A.L.S. Forensic and anthropological aspects of variation in dental metrics in two contemporary Australian populations. Australasian Soc iety for Human Biology. 13th Annual Conference. 6 - 9 December, 1999. Sydney, Australia.
- Chiu, A.L.S. Forensic and anthropological aspects of variation in dental metrics in two contemporary Australian populations. American Association of Physical Anthr opologists. 69th Annual Meeting, 12 - 15 April, 2000. San Antonio, Texas, USA.
- Choy, E., Chiu, A., Young, J., Butow, P. and Spillane, A. A Pilot Study to Evaluate the Impact on Patient Outcomes of Involving Breast Cancer Patients in the Multidisciplinary Cl inic Discussion of their Surgery - Results And Treatment Plan. Leura V: International Breast Cancer Conference, Breast Cancer Institute. 10 - 14 November 2004, Sydney, Australia. Poster presentation
- Choy, E., Chiu, A., Young, J., Butow, P. and Spillane, A. A pilot study to evaluate the impact on patient outcomes of involving breast cancer patients in the multidisciplinary clinic discussion of their surgery results and treatment. Annual Scientific Congress, Australasian College of Surgeons. 13 - 15 May 2005, Pe rth, Australia.
- Neuro - ophthalmology Society of Australia. 21st Annual Clinical and Scientific Meeting, November 2005, Sydney.
- Medical Retina and Uveitis. 21st Annual Registrar’s Conference, Save Sight Institute and Sydney Eye Hospital, January 2007
- Cornea and External Eye disease. 22nd Annual Registrar’s Conference, Save Sight Institute and Sydney Eye Hospital, January 2008
- RANZCO Annual General Meeting and S cientific Congress, Melbourne, 2008
- Neuroophthalmology. 23 rd Annual Registrar’s Conference, Save Sight Institute and Sydney Eye Hospital, January 2009
- Medical and Surgical Retina. 24 th Annual Registrar’s Conference, Save Sight Institute and Sydney Eye Hospital, January 2010
- RANZCO Annual General Meeting and Scientific Congress, Adelaide, 2010
- RANZCO Annual General Meeting and Scientific Congress, Canberra, 2011
- RANZCO Annual General Meeting and Scientific Congress, Melbourne, 2012
- RANZCO Annual General Meeting and Scientific Congress, Melbourne, 2016
2013 - present
- Ophthalmology VMO - Modelling a high standard of professional behaviour
2014 - present
- Member of M edical Advisory Committee, Hornsby Private Day Surgery Facility
2006 - 2011
- Ophthalmology Registrar: Teaching and s upervision of medical students, elective students and residents
- National Governance Committee, College of Physicians
2004 - 2005
- Experience with audit and quality assurance in collating and presenting morbidity and mortality data over several clinical rotations
- Internship: Postgraduate Medical Council, JMO representative
Professional Memberships and Subscriptions
- Australian Society of Ophthalmologists
- Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology
- Focal Points
33-35 York Street
Sydney NSW 2000
Level 5, Harley Place
251 Oxford St
Bondi Junction NSW 2022